Mindbody

Download the app

The MINDBODY app

Fitness memberships, workout classes, wellness services, beauty appointments and more.

Install
no high fives for now quote
Fitness
Published Thursday Jun 11, 2020 by Sara Lesher

Returning to Gyms and Studios: How You're Preparing to Go Back to Your Workouts

COVID-19
Fitness
Perspective

There have been many updates, emails, and social posts about what studios are doing to prepare to reopen, but have you thought about what you’re going to do for yourself? While we love to see our studios taking precautions to keep us safe, to some extent, our health and safety is in our own hands. 

lauren mcalister quote

We’re all trying to do what’s best for us in the current situation, and our safety precautions can vary for lots of reasons. Age, location, personal risk, state/county guidelines, overall anxiety, and many other factors can affect our choices regarding our own health and safety measures. That’s why we went to the source: You. We polled our Instagram audience, asking you what your plans are to stay safe and prepare for your glorious return to gyms and studios. Based on this poll, here’s what you all had to say:

sanitize and clean comments

1.    Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. 


Hand sanitizer is a hot commodity these days—everyone wants to get their hands on it (or get it on their hands?). 46% of you mentioned bringing your own hand sanitizer, wiping down equipment, washing your hands, or general sanitization when going back to the studio. If you didn’t wipe down machines before or after using them before (we'll try not to judge), you’re definitely thinking about doing it now. 

 

group vs solo fitness pie chart2.    Keep it small. 


We all love a good group fitness class—and we’re all missing our in-person sessions a lot right now. Surprisingly, even with social distancing precautions in place, 62% of you would prefer to return to your group fitness classes rather than sticking with personal training or solo exercise for a bit. But we also know our classes are probably going to look a little different when we return. In response to our question about what you’re doing to prepare and stay safe, 32% mentioned hoping for smaller class sizes, keeping distance, and/or respecting people’s space while in the studio. Even as studios limit capacity and class sizes, and increase distance between machines, we should all remember to respect the space of those around us (yes, unfortunately, that means no high fives for now).  
 

props stats


3.    BYOP. 


Props. An important part of many workouts, but also a breeding ground for bacteria (sorry, gross). When it comes to props, a whopping 74% of respondents said they’d bring their own to the studio rather than going without for a bit. Whether it’s yoga mats, blocks, bands, towels, or water bottles, we’re all going BYO for now. When it comes to masks, though, most of us would prefer not to wear them during workouts. But don’t worry, we’re all willing to follow the rules. 78% said they’d wear a mask “only if it’s required,” while the other 22% said they’d wear one either way.  


stay home comments4.    Stay home. 


Although many counties are beginning to reopen studios, you may not feel comfortable returning quite yet. 21% of respondents said they would be staying home for a bit, despite gyms and studios reopening. They mentioned continuing to take virtual classes for a while, waiting until COVID numbers are down locally, and feeling safer in their homes for the time being.  

Fun fact: we’re all loving virtual! 80% of respondents said they’d “totally!” continue taking virtual classes, even if they’re going to the studio as well. 
 
Whether you’re camping outside your favorite studio’s doors, masking up and entering with caution, or sticking to virtual for a while, it’s up to you to decide how to prepare and stay safe right now. We love hearing from you—thanks for answering our questions! Be sure to head over to Instagram and keep your eye on our stories for more polls in the future.

Sara Lesher
Written by
Sara Lesher
Marketing Content Associate
About the author
Spoiled by the San Diego sunshine, Sara’s hobbies include beaching, hiking, concert-going, and brewery-hopping. As Mindbody’s marketing content associate, she naturally loves reading and writing… so if you have any book recommendations, let her know. And just between us: she’s committed to health and wellness but loves a good taco (shoutout TJ Tacos in Escondido).
tipping bar graph
Beauty
Published Thursday Oct 08, 2020 by Sara Lesher

Gratuity Guide: How to Tip a Hair Stylist (and Show You Care)

Beauty

Tipping. While it can be a taboo topic that no one really wants to talk about publicly, the fact is, it’s a very important one that shouldn’t (and can’t) be avoided. This is all too true, especially now, when it comes to beauty services. Even before, “all of this” happened, there appeared to be some ambiguity about exactly how much to tip, when, what’s a respectable amount, and why. Now that we’ve tried our best at #homebeauty, it’s time to head back to the salons, spas, and other boutique beauty businesses (if you haven’t already). We’re here to guide you through gratuity in the new normal and why tipping a little extra to show your stylists and service providers you care during this tough time is the right thing to do.  

To make sure we get you all the right answers, we asked around about it (so you don’t have to). Turns out, our Instagram followers had a lot to say about how to tip your stylists and show them some extra love right now. 

Here’s what you think: 


You’ve already been tipping more 

79% of you said you’ve been tipping more for beauty services recently. We’re all so grateful for our stylists—with split ends, grown-out roots, out-of-control brows, and terrible home-cut bangs to prove it. And now that many of us can return to our salons and spas, we’re appreciating the ones who help us feel beautiful even more right now. 


But, how much more? 

We got a range of responses to this question. Some said they tip 5% more than they previously did, and many said 25%-35% total! Not only are these stylists actual artists, but they’re providing services we just can’t do ourselves. On top of that, many had to close their doors for several months, many were displaced as their salons shut down for good, and all of them are trying their best to get back to a sense of normalcy and do what they do best—help us look and feel beautiful. So, take this as a guide. Tip what you can but remember how much these wonderful people do for us.

New services are not top priority (yet) 

When it comes to trying new services, 69% of you gave it a big fat NO, while 31% remain intrigued. It makes sense that many would stick to their go-tos right now, as salons are just starting to reopen in some areas or may not be open yet at all.  

Depending on where you live and your overall health, you might be sticking with the bare minimum for now. But if your city has put in place safe reopening guidelines and measures, and you feel ready to head back out there, you can do so safely at a Mindbody salon. And you may be interested in trying out some new services right now as a way to show your local salons some extra support. If that’s you, browse beauty on the Mindbody app—and filter your categories to find out what’s out there.

Why retail therapy is important

Another way you can support your stylists right now? Shopping. It’s the safest way to show them some love without actually going in for a treatment. Many salons offer pre-payment on the Mindbody app and curbside pickup or a plethora of shipping methods, so you can keep contact to a minimum as much as possible. Plus, they have some pretty great stuff. If you need to invest in a good shampoo—especially because you haven’t gotten your hair done in months—so why not buy it from your stylist?  According to our poll, it’s a pretty even split. 55% of you haven’t bought any products yet, while the other 45% have been shopping away. If you’re part of that 55, consider checking out your salon’s product offerings (you might see something you like)

Anything else? 

Finally, we asked you all open-endedly how else you’re supporting your stylists right now. We got a lot of great answers. There was a lot of overlap, but we thought you might like to see some of the ones that stood out. So, if we didn’t cover it all so far, we’re about to—because you all are awesome and you did it for us. Here are some of the great ideas you had: 
    •    “Paying in advance!” 

    •    “Being more diligent about scheduling appointments versus letting my hair grow out” 

    •    “Referring friends!” 

    •    “Being flexible” (this is a good one—check out the 5 things your stylist wants you to know before you book) 

    •    “Scheduling my next cut before I leave!” 

    •    “Sharing their photos on Instagram and telling friends!” 

 

So, if you’re a stylist reading this, thank you. We all want to continue showing you support during this time and beyond. And if you’re a regular person like me who really needs her highlights done, just schedule the damn appointment already (if you feel comfortable) or buy some purple shampoo from your favorite salon.

Sara Lesher
Written by
Sara Lesher
Marketing Content Associate
About the author
Spoiled by the San Diego sunshine, Sara’s hobbies include beaching, hiking, concert-going, and brewery-hopping. As Mindbody’s marketing content associate, she naturally loves reading and writing… so if you have any book recommendations, let her know. And just between us: she’s committed to health and wellness but loves a good taco (shoutout TJ Tacos in Escondido).