Get the scoop on how she learned to feed her body and feel good.
Download the app
Fitness memberships, workout classes, wellness services, beauty appointments and more.
Astrology is an ancient language that utilizes planetary bodies, zodiac signs, and houses to communicate a unique cosmic signature known as your birth chart. The birth chart maps out the position of the sun, moon, planets, and stars at the specific time and place of your birth. Ever wonder why the full moon messes with your vibes? This is what provides the framework for your individuality, relationships (your soulmate could be written in stars), and life purpose.
In your birth chart, the three main planetary points that outline your everyday personality are your sun, moon, and rising. Most everyone knows their sun sign, but many are not as familiar with their moon and rising sign. This is why the question “What’s your sign?” is so much more complex than the simple answer of “I’m a Libra.”
So, what is the best way to answer your sign question? By learning what your sun, moon, and rising sign really mean and then finding out which of the 12 zodiac signs they occupy in your birth chart. Understanding this can influence everything from booking the best workouts for your sign (Leo, get ready to put the pedal to the metal), to finding the wellness and beauty treatments that fit your zodiac flow.
The sun, moon, and rising are found within a specific zodiac sign in your birth chart. The 12 zodiac signs are associated with an elemental property (earth, water, air, fire), a fundamental quality (cardinal, mutable, fixed), and a planetary ruler. The combination of these provides the basis for exploration of how these planetary points express themselves in your life... and the balance between your seven dimensions of wellness.
The sun is your identity. It is the essence that you shine out into the world. It represents the vital force that drives you to seek the highest expression of your true self. Your sun sign is how you answer the question “I am” and how you experience life and express your individuality. These sentiments might come to mind as you practice yoga. It also represents the type of energy that you need to feel revitalized. For example, your sun sign’s element is helpful in understanding your self-expression tendencies and how you recharge.
If your sun is an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you love to express yourself intellectually and often recharge in social settings. How about some group fitness with friends?
If your sun is a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are motivated by inspirations and aspirations and recharge through physical activity (like a virtual workout) and by pursuing your goals.
If your sun is an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are motivated by material needs and practicality and recharge through working with the physical world, being productive, and feeding your senses. Essential oils might just do the trick.
If your sun is a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are motivated by deep emotional desires and recharge through emotional experiences (try being mindful with meditation) and intimate involvement with people.
The moon is the soul behind your identity. It is the subconscious side of yourself that you typically keep hidden and is the driving force behind your emotional reactions. Your moon sign helps you feel pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, and gives insight into how you nurture and restore yourself. These happiness hacks always help me. It is the mecca of your inner world. For example, your moon sign’s element is helpful in understanding your inner world and how you typically react in emotional situations.
If your moon is in an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you react to changing experiences with discernment and objective evaluation. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing ideas and interacting socially. Could a new yoga practice could increase your creativity?
If your moon is in a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you react to changing experiences with direct action and excitement. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing confidence, ditching the negative self-talk, and showing strength.
If your moon is in an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you react to changing experiences with steadiness and stability. A strong core workout could help with that. You feel most aligned with your inner world when being productive and working towards a goal.
If your moon is a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you react to changing experiences with sensitivity and emotion. You feel most aligned with your inner self when feelings are deeply involved. But don’t forget to prioritize your self-love!
Rising sign (also known as your Ascendant) is your social personality. It is how you dawn on people as it relates to the zodiac sign that was on the Eastern horizon when you were born. Your rising sign represents your physical body and outward style. It is the manifestation of both your inner and outer world, which can define the balance between your seven dimensions. For example, your rising sign’s element is helpful in understanding the type of energy that drives your physical body and overall approach to life.
If your rising is in an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you are mentally quick, inquisitive, friendly, and prefer to express yourself verbally. You often approach life with the desire to understand the meaning of what or whom you encounter, and that includes being intentional with your movement.
If your rising is in a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are action-oriented, confident, and often blunt. You often have great vitality and physical energy, especially when striving to make your mark in the world. Trust me, you’ll want to tap into that physical energy in your next workout.
If your rising is in an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are matter-of-fact and tend to focus on the material world. You often have a steadfast approach to life that can be a grounding force (especially during stressful times) for many.
If your rising is in a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are sensitive, empathetic, and easily influenced by your environment (say hello to more plants in your home). You often have an approach to life that is deeply rooted in your emotional body.
Developing a deep awareness of your sun, moon, and rising is a great place to start in understanding your personal astrology. If you are interested in learning more, join my Cosmic Soul Membership club. Happy exploring!
February is Black History Month—a celebration of the achievements and contributions of African Americans in society. As the beauty and wellness industry becomes a more welcoming and inclusive space for all, we are taking this opportunity to continue to shine a light on the gap of inclusivity and diversity in our industry, and take action to promote, empower, and honor the Black community that shapes and grows wellness.
While the beauty industry is making improvements—it's important to showcase and support Black businesses and the creatives in this space every day. To honor them, we're shouting out some of our favorite Black-owned beauty and wellness businesses to support.
Beauty Bin is a full-service day spa and dry bar located in Asheville, NC. With a focus on inclusivity for people of all backgrounds, genders, and races, their MO is to match the outer beauty of every client to their inner beauty. From eyelash extensions and hydrafacials to waxing and massage, Beauty Bin is a one-stop-shop for all the spa services.
The KIKA Method® is a gentle assisted stretching process that loosens up tight muscles freeing your body from pain and stress. By practicing this method, clients can experience decreased muscle tension, increased energy, enhanced flexibility, a substantial reduction in stress, improved posture and relaxation, and increased mental clarity. While its headquarters is located in Las Vegas, NV, they have multiple locations sprinkled throughout the US, including Atlanta, New York City, and Dallas—just to name a few.
At Kimberly Coleman Salon, their philosophy begins with promoting healthy tresses, elegant sets, unique accouterments, perfect pampering of hands and feet, and precision cuts. Known for working with models and celebrities, they fully appreciate and celebrate the diversity of their clientele which also includes super moms and warrior dads.
Pressed Roots was developed with the simple concept in mind—that everyone deserves access to easy, and quality hair care. What started as a single pop-up shop in Boston, grew to a multi-city pop-up tour, and is now slated to be the largest national hair salon franchise specializing in the care and styling of highly textured hair, they launched their first flagship location in Dallas, TX.
Jersey City resident, Alyza Brevard-Rodriguez started SW3AT. The company began as a fitness apparel line in 2015 but evolved into a sanctuary catered to health and wellness now known as SW3AT Sauna Studio—the first infrared sauna studio in Jersey City. The healing power of infrared heat therapy is a phenomenal option for holistic health proven to strengthen the immune system and provide relief from joint stiffness and muscle pain. It is also supportive of any fitness program as it aids in weight loss (you can torch up to 900 calories in a 45-minute session) while also detoxifying your body from some of the most harmful toxins.
Kelli Coleman and Anika Jackson opened The TEN Nail Bar in Detroit to address a void in their city. They saw a need for a quality, modern nail bar that could also serve as a fun social space for Detroit’s residents and professionals. They designed the TEN to provide their clients with a #Perfect10 experience—where you can relax, enjoy music, a drink, your friends, a clean and precise manicure, and a much-needed break from all your hectic days.
Located in the beautiful downtown Hyde Park Chicago area, Bettye O Day Spa specializes in first-class treatments. They aim to nurture and relax each of their clients with individualized and innovative therapeutic techniques. From body wraps and massages to facials and hydrotherapy, this day spa promises to be a safe place for healing to occur.
Looking for more businesses to support? ClassPass has also created a list of Black-owned business to check out all year-round. While both of these lists are a great start to get you familiar with many of the Black-owned businesses either in your neighborhood or around the globe, we have only scratched the surface. We'd love to keep these lists growing.If you have any businesses you'd like to see on this list, click here to submit a Black-owned business we should be highlighting as well!